There are millions of people who have amalgam fillings. Recently, there has been concern raised about the mercury used in those fillings – to the point that many feel they should have them removed immediately.
What is Amalgam?
Amalgam is an alloy made from silver, copper, tin, and other metals. Mercury is used to make the mixture malleable. Today, amalgam may contain indium, which helps retain the mercury, so less is released in the environment.
Is Amalgam Safe?
Mercury is toxic to humans, though the toxicity varies by its form. There are no scientific studies to show that amalgam is harmful, and there is no reason not to use amalgam for health reasons.
Reasons Not to Use Amalgam
Despite the these assurances, there are other reasons you might want to avoid amalgam fillings.
While you may want to avoid amalgam for future fillings, removing fillings from otherwise healthy teeth may do more damage to the tooth. It also increases the risk of releasing higher amounts of mercury, which could be inhaled during the extraction.
We can explain your options, and help you determine the best course of action regarding fillings. Of course, the best option is to brush and floss daily, and maintain a regular schedule of dental visits to prevent any cavities in the first place!
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.