Some people may not realize it, but apples, celery, and walnuts are all great foods that contribute to the health of your teeth and offer the following benefits:
- Apples – Considered a water-rich food, apples stimulate saliva production, which keeps oral bacteria under control.
- Celery – For the same reasons as apples, celery helps stimulate saliva production and also breaks down into fibrous strands that clean teeth naturally.
- Walnuts – A good source of plant protein, walnuts also contain powerful micronutrients that are great for healthy teeth, such as zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus.
A Salad the Kids Will Love
This recipe will serve eight, so adjust as needed to meet your family’s needs.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 5 teaspoons honey
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch of celery, with leaves
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, and cored; each quarter cut into 2 wedges and then thinly sliced crosswise into triangle shapes
- ¾ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Whisk lemon juice, mustard, and honey in small bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in oil.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Trim celery leaves and chop enough to measure 1 cup.
- Thinly slice stalks on deep diagonal.
- Place celery pieces in bowl of cold water. (Dressing, celery leaves, and celery pieces can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
- Drain celery; pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine celery, celery leaves, apples, and walnuts in large bowl.
- Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
This healthy salad can be made ahead of time to be ready for those hungry kids after they get home from a long day at school.
~Dr. Chai (a.k.a. Dr. Tooth!)