If your parents were unable to provide orthodontic treatment for you as a child, you missed out on the opportunity to have straighter teeth, a properly-aligned bite, and improved oral health.
While you might have learned to live with your teeth, your imperfect smile can not only interfere with your confidence but also cause issues with your bite and overall oral health. The good news is, it is never too late to consider braces for adults. Here we explain the types of conditions adult braces can eliminate and why it is so important for you to act now.
Myths About Braces For Adults
First, let’s debunk some common myths about adults and braces:
- Braces Don’t Work On Adults: No, this is absolutely not true. The main reason this myth exists is because so many people get their braces as teens. However, age does not impact the effectiveness of braces so they can be worn by people of all ages, including seniors.
- Adults Look Silly With Braces: This is a major reason why adults don’t get braces. However, first, this is simply not true. Second, there are new types of braces available that come in less noticeable treatments, such as Invisalign®. As well, Invisalign® treatments use clear removable aligners instead of traditional metal wires.
- Braces Are Too Painful: Braces can be uncomfortable, but you also get used to them. However, as mentioned you can also look into Invisalign® treatment which can be more comfortable to wear than traditional braces.
- Braces Require Too Much Time: If you are worried about taking time from your busy schedule for brace adjustments, Invisalign® treatments are an excellent option. You change the trays yourself so you don’t need to visit the dentist. As well, Fastbraces® deliver beautiful smiles in very little time, often as quickly as 100 days.
If you’ve been avoiding braces for any of these reasons, speak to your dentist today.
What Is Invisalign®?
Invisalign® has become the most popular choice for people who want to straighten their teeth without the telltale “railroad tracks” of traditional wire braces. Known as the “invisible” braces treatment, Invisalign® uses a series of clear removable aligners that gently ease your teeth into the proper position.
Your dentist uses leading-edge technology to determine the ideal position for your teeth and then computer-generated images create the configuration for your aligners. Each set of aligners fits your teeth slightly differently, so every time you change your aligners, your teeth are slowly eased into place. Because they are removable you can take them out when you eat, as well as when you brush and floss. You take your aligners home and change to a new set every two weeks, so they don’t require regular dental appointments. This makes it easier if you have a busy schedule and can’t take time off work, school, or away from your kids. It is a virtually invisible treatment that is also painless.
What Are FASTBRACES®?
The FASTBRACES® patented technology uses a process called “orthoeruption” to straighten teeth quickly. The treatment often avoids tooth extraction or severe cases where jaw surgery might have been required. It uses one wire from start to finish for efficiency, allowing the process to take as little as 100 days.
Signs You Should Consider Adult Braces
Sometimes you have lived with your teeth so long, you don’t even realize you should consider braces. Some signs you need adult braces include:
- Crooked teeth
- Biting or cutting your tongue on your teeth often
- Your teeth don’t close properly when your mouth is closed
- Awkward tongue positioning causing speech impediments
- A clicking jaw
- Jaw pain
- Difficulty chewing
- A tired feeling when you chew food
- General dissatisfaction with the appearance of your smile
- Food constantly getting caught in your teeth
If you have any of these symptoms, speak to your dentist about orthodontic treatments.
Why Adults Should Get Braces
If your teeth are not in the ideal position it can lead to the following issues:
- Bite Issues: Misaligned teeth can affect your bite. This leads to pain, as well as unnecessary wear and tear on your teeth. Bite issues are painful and can increase risk for tooth damage, leading to everything from gum disease to the need for root canals.
- Head and Neck Pain: Bite issues can also lead to chronic neck pain and headaches, which may worsen when you are under stress. If you have suffered from pain and not found a solution, it could be due to poor bite from misaligned teeth or jaw which leads to:
- Sore muscles in the neck and jaw
- Issues with opening your mouth fully due to pain or stiffness
- Uneven bite
- Ear pain
- Confidence Issues: You might have suffered from confidence issues all your life that can interfere with success in your career and social life. Braces might seem like one more embarrassment that can keep you from “getting out there” but the truth of the matter is braces or Invisalign® treatment will finally provide you with the perfect smile you’ve always wanted.
- Plaque and Tartar: Teeth that are too close together make it impossible to maintain oral health. Even if you are the most dedicated brusher and flosser, you just won’t be able to reach the areas where plaque and tartar like to hide. With straight teeth your oral health regime will improve, helping you avoid the need for costly dental treatments.
- More Options: As already mentioned you have more options than ever to find the orthodontic treatment right for you. From both a budget and appearance standpoint you can discuss your options with your dentist and come up with the ideal treatment for your needs.
- Affordability: As an adult, whether you have dental benefits or a full-time job, you have the funding to pursue dental treatments you couldn’t as a child. You can speak to your dental team to find out about your insurance or financing options that place orthodontic treatments within your reach.
- Perfect Teeth: In a world obsessed with selfies and perfection, you can finally feel confident in your smile and appearance. Your smile can be perfected so you no longer feel self-conscious about your smile and can flash your pearly whites for picture-perfect selfies that are share-worthy.
Braces are your chance to look your best, regain your confidence and reduce the risk for serious oral and dental health issues. You have the ability to invest your own time and money in orthodontic treatments to suit your oral health goals. You can also find a way to live a pain-free life if chronic headaches, jaw pain and neck pain are related to your imperfect bite.