All Cosmetic Dentistry performed by our licenced dentists offer the latest smile-enhancing procedures to correct your teeth, gums and jaw, to enhance your appearance and give you a lasting self-confidence!
Whether you’re at a job interview, a business luncheon, or on a date, most people will make a conscious decision about making a connection with you based on your appearance. You will also be judged by your ability to accomplish tasks by your looks. Fortunately or unfortunately, someone who is well groomed will appear to have more self-confidence and thus be able to relate better to people and do better at a job.
Whether this is true or not, it is certainly true that looks do play a huge role in self-esteem (both in kids and adults), and self-esteem IS a huge factor in how we relate to others. Probably the largest contributing factor in improving a person’s overall appearance is the condition of their teeth.
Cosmetic Dentistry refers to the dental procedures concerned with the overall aesthetics of your smile. This may include everything from teeth whitening to chip repairs to porcelain veneers. All of these techniques may be implemented to offer you a brand new “smile makeover”.
The colour of our teeth is largely dependent on our diets. Smoking, tea and coffee are the main contributors to the yellowing of the teeth, as well as minerals in food, especially staining foods. In order to maintain a youthful look, movie stars started getting their teeth bleached and now teeth whitening has become a household tradition.
Cosmetic dentistry also provides restoration to damaged teeth and old fillings. Early dental fillings and crowns used metal fillers like gold and amalgam which left visible dark fillings in the teeth, especially molars. Today, patients can opt for composite or porcelain (ceramic) crowns and fillings which can be matched closely to the colour of their teeth, and even have old fillings replaced with cosmetic natural looking ones.
Many of us have had the misfortune of biting down too hard on a nut, fork or bone which resulted in a chipped tooth. This is not only discouraging, but can also be quite embarrassing. Today’s bonding techniques can match colour and shape to your chipped tooth to make it look like new.
Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments
Cosmetic Dentistry procedures typically fall into these categories:
- Dental Bonding / Tooth Bonding – is a technique where composite material is applied into a cavity or onto the surface of a tooth, sculpted into shape by the dentist, and hardened with a high-intensity light. This technique is used for chipped, broken, decayed or discoloured teeth and regular cavities.
- Porcelain Crowns (Inlays/Onlays) – these crowns differ from typical bonding or fillings in that they are a very hard piece of ceramic which is a custom fit of the filling. Many dental practices use a traditional process by making a mold of the tooth which is sent to a lab to be fabricated, and takes two visits to complete. Today with Cerec 3D technology, our clinic uses a digital camera which takes a precise picture of the tooth cavity, and a machine mills a ceramic block to the precise tooth shape which is then fused to the existing tooth. This can all be done in one visit (under an hour), saving you the anxiety of a second visit.
- Teeth Whitening – teeth whitening today can be done at home but is often messy and inconvenient. When performed at a dental clinic, whitening teeth can be done with bleaching while protecting the gums, and often achieves several shades more of whitening in about an hour.
- Dental Bridges & Implants – missing teeth and loose dentures can now be a thing of the past. Dental Bridges and implants can now provide patients with a solution to once again have a perfect looking set of teeth. Implants are artificial replacements for teeth that have been lost, and are the safest and most permanent long-term solution for a missing tooth. A dental bridge on the other hand, is made from an impression of a patient’s teeth, and looks like 3 or 4 teeth glued together, but the outer two “teeth” are hollow, and fit right overtop the existing supporting teeth, forming a tooth bridge.
- Dental Veneers / Lumineers – advances in the dental industry have produced incredible alternatives for people even with severely deteriorated or crooked teeth. Teeth veneers are a thin layer of porcelain fused to the front of teeth to give a perfect look, covering worn, uneven, gapped, chipped or cracked teeth. Some veneers can be made so thin that little or no prep work of the teeth is required.
Today there are many Cosmetic Dentistry procedures that can improve the look of someone who is unhappy with their smile. If this is you, we encourage you to read more about the different cosmetic dentistry procedures, and give us a call for a free consultation appointment about how we can help you feel better about your smile and well-being: 1-877-283-0497.